Tuesday 17 August 2010

Grey hairs, Birthdays and Goals!




What do birthdays mean to you?  For many people it means presents, spending quality time with family and friends and having a few of your favourite beverages of choice!

It may also mean that you spend 5 minutes counting how many more grey hairs you have this year!  ( It's the first time I've done it this year, and I've got 3.....bit worrying for a man in his early thirties! )

I love all these things about birthdays, but for me ( and especially as I get older ), it's also about taking some time to understand what I've achieved personally and professionally, and more importantly where I want to be in the future.

Charlotte, my 6 year old ( or as she has recently been saying - "No daddy, I'm not 6, I'm nearly 7" ) doesn't worry about this when birthday comes around, and neither should she.  I want her to enjoy her childhood, stay young and carefree as long as she can and let Cassie and I worry about her future.

However I not 6 ( or nearly 7 ) any more, I'm now 33.  I've got responsibilities as a business owner, a husband and most importantly a Dad!!  Living up to my responsibilities means that, probably not unlike you, I'm always busy.  

I understand this, but let me ask you a question :-

"When was the last time you took time out of your day to take stock of where you are are both personally, professionally and financially?"

I help both individuals and business plan for their financial futures all the time, and as a great believer in practising what you preach I ensure that financial plans for my family are in place and review these plans on a regular basis....so, let me ask you another question:-

"Do you do the same?"

Some of you may take the time to put in place these plans(I'd imagine some of you do, and some of you don't).  If you are one of these people who doesn't plan, do yourself a huge favour.....next time you get a chance, make yourself a cup of tea (or pour yourself a glass of your favourite tipple), sit down, take a deep breath and take stock.

Grab a pen and paper, write down where you feel you are personally, professionally and financially.....and then write down what you a looking to achieve in the next 1, 3 or 5 and even longer.  Once it's written down, put some definitive plans in place to achieve these goals in your life.

By striving to achieve these goals, your life should be wealthier, happier and healthier.....regardless of whether the grey hairs come or not!!





No comments:

Post a Comment